.cookie-choices-info {position: fixed; top: auto !important; bottom: 0px !important;}

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My Writing: Basketball on the Moon

Hello! I know, I know. I haven't been active! Since, I have just wrote another piece of writing, I want to show it to you! By the way, 'In My Own Heart' will be released at the end of this week! So, look forward to it! I am also going to be posting another "Pick Ups" episode! 


Have you ever wondered how you think one of your favorite sports would be like in the moon? I have and its about basketball! Well, I imagine it to be very hard to play basketball in the moon because of how there is less gravity in the moon and all. This will be about what I think it would be like to play in the moon and the changes you’d have to make to be able to play somewhat accurately like on Earth.


First of all, the ball should be made more heavier because, in the moon there is not enough gravity to make something naturally fall back on its surface. Therefore, lighter objects will just float away and who knows when it will ever come back. The answer, of course, is never. What I’m saying is, the ball should be made of a heavier material. So that it won’t fly off into space.
The ball is now heavier, although, we don’t actually know if it will shoot through the hoop. In a video, some people that were actually inside a spaceship showed us how the basketball would float up and not be able to get through the hoop smoothly like on Earth. And because of that, I have thought about having an upside-down hoop. Wait, what?! Yes, guys. An upside-down hoop. But the both sides of the ends will have to be the size of the basketball or wider so, the basketball can go through. My vision is to have a hoop that looks like the one on Earth but then, it would have to have a thick base. In the moon, you will have to shoot to the base and from there, the ball will float its way to the hoop. But keep in mind, it will come from the bottom first and then up to the top. And to keep the ball from flying up into space, there will be a thin, big roof-structure attached behind the hoop. It’s long, so it will block the basketball from going any higher into the air.
And lastly, dribbling and the running around part. In the moon, I am not really sure you can even dribble. As you already know, gravity is lower up on the moon, causing things to either come back down slowly or never even come back. The moon does not love us, it doesn’t care if we sail away. That’s why I think that instead of dribbling, passing the ball around would make it better in the moon. You guys are probably thinking, ‘wouldn’t that mean the team members have to be really close to each other?’ No, they do not. Instead, they should be very far away from each other because, in the moon you are able to throw way more farther than on Earth. To be more specific, you could throw the ball six times farther in the moon. So, uhm...watch your distance. For the ‘running around’ part, in the moon, you would have to hop around. Since hopping is the easiest way to get to places in the moon.

The basketball game would take a long time, wouldn’t it? And that is my thoughts about how to play basketball in the moon differently, but still fun. What are your thoughts about sports on the moon? What changes would you make to play the sport appropriately on the moon? Leave a comment below!